Saturday, November 12, 2016

We're In The Pink In SLC!


One week ago Hazel was brought to the ER by her Dad.  She had two very worried parents!  Hazel has had a very traumatic week but today she is finally back to us.  The prayer this morning was that she would come back to us as her bright, cheerful, angelic, funny self.  At this point I can say we have been quite concerned about that.  But overnight she turned a big corner and she is chatty today and funny and we are all beside ourselves with joy.


Jen tried to take a smiling photo.
She blinked every time but this one!

My phone rang this morning and my call was coming from Jim's phone.  When I said "Hello," I heard the thing we have been waiting for, "Hi Gramma it's me, Hazel!"  Such sweet music to my ears, it turned on the waterworks in my eyes.  Later Jim told me the same thing happened to him and that is why he had her call me so we could all share in the moment.    Uncle Chris came up to see her this morning and he showed her a funny video that actually made her laugh out loud.  Our girl is back. She is recovering.  This terrible spinal meningitis knocked her out, but not for the count.  Best of all is it didn't steal anything from her.   Or from us.


Hazie and me doing her Pinterest boards together.
This would not and could have happened yesterday.

We are so grateful.  Thanksgiving will pack extra meaning for us all this year.  The aftermath of trauma and adversity is gratitude and a refocus of what matters most.  For me that is God who loves us and hears our prayers, a family and friends that support and loves us and our hearts filled with gratitude in all things.  No one likes adversity but it surely is a big part of how we learn in mortality.

Each day we are grateful and know that she is still not free and clear of what has happened here.  The roller coaster is still nearby and running, but we feel the highest bump is over. They are still watching her numbers and her infection.  Right now they are giving her a two hour IV dose of magnesium and we have to watch her breathing and her heart rate on the monitor as it can slow both of them down both.  So you see what I mean?  She's not in the clear but she is back and that is enough and then some.  This is not an infection that clears up and normal life resumes in a flash.  Time...it's all about time and patience and waiting.  So until tomorrow!  Be safe and hug your kids and grandkids or someone else that you love.  B

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy Hazel is doing better and back with you! Continued prayers for Hazel and all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear she is getting better and back to herself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brought a tear of joy to my eye....
    Love,
    Con

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers answered in a way that we hoped. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete